Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Newbury RC 25 - H25/1 - 54:05 - 4th

This was never going to be a stellar performance as I had not lifted finger in terms of training all week long. On Sunday I thought I was coming down with some form throat infection, and after 45 minutes of swim training on Monday, I got out as I knew I was not doing myself any favours. The rest of the week was then just filled with Colvonia and Strepsils in an attempt to budge it. By the time Saturday rolled round, I thought I was feeling a lot better so decided it would be worth it to travel to the race and see how I did - the annoying thing was, conditions were not far from ideal.

Within a few minutes of setting off, I was aware that the throat had not totally cured as heavy breathing was slightly restricted. Still, was able to get up to speed and did not feel too bad for the first 20 odd k. I had caught my two minute man who a decent rider, so thought I must be doing okay. As we turned at the far end though and started to work harder in to the headwind, I felt a bit worse and instantly knew it was going to be a case of just hanging on really.

Once we turned at the other end, I had a look behind to see that the chap I had caught for two minutes had not really dropped back much in the subsequent 10k's - I must have ridden like a right wally for that segment. Still, back with the wind behind us and the 56x11 in full use, I was able to open the gap up again.

I eventually crossed the line in 54:05 which is a bit slower than the 53:09 I did last year on that course, but all things considered, not too bad really...still nigh on 45kph for the ride and I still haven't really done any high end work on the turbo yet. So, although I don't think I am as fast as I was at this time last year, I do think I have much more solid base which we can now work on adding the speed to. Hopefully things will all come together initially at the end of May/Early June for the National 10, 25 and 50 and then hopefully that will carry through nicely to Antwerp.

The throat appears to have cleared now anyway, so back to full training now.

No comments: