Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Thames Turbo Sprint - Race 1

I think I am now in to my fifth year of doing this race, it was the first triathlon I did some years ago. For the past couple of years, I have placed near the top so I was keen to get 2010's triathlon career off to a good start.The promise of the some warm weather did not prove to be too correct, but at least it was not as freezing cold as last year - never a good idea when you get out of heated pool and then head out in to the elements in a wet trisuit.

The swim for me went okay on this one, I quickly managed to get quite close to the person in front of me and then decided to not try and get past. She was going at a fairly decent pace, so I assume it would be better to save some energy and sit on her feet for the last 100m or so. My swim time for the 436m was 6:02, so about the same as normal. My transition on the other hand was an embarrassment to the triathlon community. It just seemed to take so long, mainly as I fumbled my way around trying to pull some cycling shoes on. I think that from now on I will have to revert to the shoes in the pedals and having these attached to the bike.

The bike section at these races has been a bit of a nemesis for me in recent years. I can't recall the last time I had what I would call a good run. On this occasion, I was stopped at the lights for the full time that it took to change and then had to contend with some incredibly slow moving traffic behind a competitor who was just strolling along on his mountain bike. There was also the brief stop at the roundabout, so all in all, not a good run really and it was almost impossible to get in to a decent rhythm.

Copyright: David Spencer - us2design





My running of recent has been a little lackluster as I have struggled to find the top end speed that is needed for races like this. The problems with the blisters from MK and Fleet had also meant that I was pretty much sidelined from running for a while. Still, I don't think that I ran that bad, well, in terms of way it felt anyway. The time was far from ideal but I know why this is and I am certain I can improve on this. On this occasion I did 20:31 and I have previously run an 18:37 I think. So, a lot to get me back to those results, but I have at least started to do some brick sessions now and will be working on some speed in the coming months.

In the end, I was 6th, so not too bad, but far from my best....even for this time of the year.



No comments: