Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Sotonia 10 (P613/10) 20:44 - 10th

For me to be able to even get on the start sheet for the National 10 mile Championships this year, I was going to need to get a better time than the only other one I, unfortunately recorded on a cold windy day back in December last year. So, in terms of getting a PB, the Sotonia 10 should have been a bit of a walk in the park really...the course was much nicer than the last one and, on the day, the weather was not bad either. The wind had picked up, but at least the predicted rain had not arrived.

I have done very little in the way of preparation for short bursts like this, so I was quite aware before the start that this was not going to be a very well managed race in terms of pacing etc. It was the first time on the TT bike this year and I just don't really have any kind of markers in terms of how well I am riding at the moment. All I know is that the watts I am putting out on the turbo are a bit lower than they were this time last year.

Anyway, once the race got going I just decided that i would see how hard I could go for the whole ride. The good thing was, the course started with a bit of a downhill and then we were directed on to a nice piece of dual carriageway with the wind behind us. Those first 5 miles were a real pleasure as I cruised along in 56x11 or 12 but eventually hit some bad luck as I got to the roundabout for the turn. As much as I tried to convince myself there was a way to do it, it became apparent I was going to have to stop....so annoying. Anyway, it was only for a few seconds and I was back on my way again. Still, the whole slowing, stopping and getting going again costs dearly, especially in such a short race. Back out on the other side of the dual carriageway and I was met with the ugly side of that nice tailwind I had enjoyed all the way out. I just tried to get as aero as possible and just grind the gears out for the next 4 miles. It was not pleasant at all, but catching a couple of the riders in front of me made for a nice distraction.

I eventually made it over the line in 20:44. In terms of the National Champs, this is job done as a time of 20:44 should ensure that I get my slot in the National 10 this year. Having looked at last year's result, I felt quite confident that a time like that would put me quite far up the leaderboard. Alas, not today....everyone seems to have cottoned on to the fact that this is the fastest course in the South and on a good day, this is where a lot of people come to get their times for the National 10. In the end, I finished 10th but there were a good bunch of quality riders above me and I beat some of my peers who I would normally place close to etc. All in all....job done.



No comments: