Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Maidenhead Hilly 30 (H29/18) - DNF

Last year, my mate Paul and I raced this event as a two up and won quite comfortably. This year, I decided I would have a crack on my own over this testing course round the back lanes of Marlow. I had set my virtual partner up to give me the course record and this meant that I would need to average just over 41kh for the course - this didn't seem too bad, but the hills can really kill the average speed on these rides.

Just doing a little warm up on the turbo...




Things started ok and I felt quite strong but the biggest problem that was giving me concerns was the sheer state of the roads round there. I felt like I was bumping around all over the place and missing potholes became a bit of an art form, what with the frequency and depth of them.

After the first up hill section of the course, I glanced at the watch to see that I was currently riding at the required speed...this was good news as I now had a long section of general downhill where I could try and increase the average speed as much as possible to limit the damage that would be done in the last 2 mile climb to the finish. Things started to not feel quite right on the bike though...I slowly realised that the front wheel had some form of slow puncture. I started to try and work out how fast it was going down and whether or not I would be able to make it to the finish, but after another couple of miles I decided to bite the bullet and get off. At this point I was averaging 43.3kph and still had some downhill section to go...it was not to be though.

The problem now was that I was stranded out on the course with no easy means of making my way back to the car. I worked out there must have been another 8 or so miles of riding to do, that was going to take a long time. Thankfully, some cycling fan in a Transit van came to my rescue. The bike had to go in the back along with some rubbish, but at least I was en route to the village hall again. My glamorous arrival back at the village hall even made it on the web... "while London Dynamo’s Richard Legge arrived at the finish in the back of a rubbish collectors van after suffering a similar problem"

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/uk-time-trial-round-up-tejvan-pettinger-wins-30-mile-hilly-25628

No comments: