Thursday, August 24, 2006

One for the Fan Club

I got an email today from the GB team manager and it contained some very good news for those of you that will be interested to see what is actually happening while I am racing in the Worlds. This year, the ITU are in full control of media rights to both the age group and elite racing on the weekend of the World Championships. To this end, they are going to be giving the age groupers the same media backing that is normally the sole reserve of the elite athletes.

This will include some pretty good features for those of you that want to follow the big race. As you may or not be aware, as triathletes we are always giving an electronic ankle band that contains a transponder to send out a signal so that when we cross through certain points of a race our times can be recorded. For us triathletes this normally results in us getting a swim time, T1 (the transition between swimming and the bike), the bike split (including lap splits if it is a lap race), T2 (the transition between the bike and run) and then the run split with any lap information. The good news is that the Worlds is a multilap race in as many ways as possible pretty much. The swim will only give out a start and finish time, but the bike, being a 4 lap race, will give off 4 times and then the run is another 4 lap affair. The net result is that our times will be reported a large number of times throughout the course of the race.

On the day, you should be able to go to the ITU website and there should be a link on there which will eventually hopefully give you a player which looks something like this.


I am not sure exactly how it all works, but on the day you may just want to have a play around. You do need to download Macromedia Shockwave Player 8 though - a link for this is on the ITU website as well. The cast is going live at the following times:

Lausanne: 10:00
Denver: 02:00
London: 09:00
New York: 04:00
Tokyo: 17:00
Sydney: 18:00
LA: 01:00

My race starts at 10:10am Swiss time, so that will be 9:10 in the UK.

Not wanting to set myself up for too much expectation, but I am hoping to do the seperate bits in about the following times:

Swim - 21:00 - 22:00

Bike - 1:05:00 - 1:08:00 (about 15/16 min laps)

Run - 38:00 - 40:00 (about 10 minute laps)

For those of you that are lazy, and just want to watch me cross the line - which they are apparently showing for everyone, I would imagine that I would be doing that at about 11:15 - 11:25 UK time.

This is all assuming that I get there on time...the UK airports are not exactly in the best state at the moment....and I have a bike...hmmm. I will not be happy until my bike is racked on the Friday night.

There is less than nine days to go now...

5 comments:

Jonny said...

Ooooooh, excellent.

What day is the race? Hopefully I can catch the event live via my PC.

If it's a school night and I don't go out for beer afterwards I reckon I could be at home by 19:00 Sydney time, so 10:00 UK time, which means I could watch you for a good hour and a half.

I may even buy some high riders and wear them in support.

Jonny said...

By the power of the ITU link and the countdown clock (although that threw me slightly), and more importantly, the race schedule I can deduce that your event is on Saturday 2nd September.

Perfect.

RJL said...

It you could all sit in front of your PC's in lycra and high riders that would bring a smile to my face while I'm tearing my lungs out.

Jonny said...

Consider it done (although I have just bought a rather nice new pair of boardies and they are anything but high riding).

Andy said...

I'll be wearing Hope F.C. shorts at the time of your race, as we'll be playing the first game of the season. I'll wear some lycra underneath, just for you...