Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Farnborough & Camberley '25' - New PB

I had been looking forward to this TT ever since I had my first outing a couple of weeks ago. I knew that the course was good and I was pleased with some of the training I had done recently and how I was feeling on the bike. My previous best time on this course was a 55:10, but I managed to get that with a back tire which was slowly going down as I went round the course - it was flat by the time I got back to HQ on that day. Alas, I was hoping to make it round without as much excitement this time.

On the day, we had a slight wind which meant that things were not going to be complete plain sailing as the wind was a headwind on the way back to the finish. So, in light of this, I decided to take it a tiny bit easier in the first 30k so that I would have enough in the tank to be able to get me home and not lose too much time. I had set my Garmin's Virtual Partner up so that if I could beat it, I would break my PB of 53:17 for 25 miles. By the time I got to the roundabout before the last drag up to the finish, I was just under a minute up on that time...at this time, I was just hopeful of a sub 53 ride but as I crept up the dual carriageway, the lead was narrowing all the time as I struggled to remain above 45kph.

In the end, I crossed the line with a time of 53:16, so a new PB, but only by one second! Still, a PB is a PB and given the conditions, I am more than happy with it. I also managed to beat some very respectable names in the world of Time Trialling and was only 1 minute off the winner (I was 2nd) and he is a bit of a legend in TT circles.

No comments: