Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dragonslayer Duathlon 2009

Even on the way to this race, I knew that today was not going to be a good day in terms of racing. My legs were not feeling that good after yesterday's TT effort and the thought of doing a very hard duathlon course just didn't really fill me with anticipation.

I arrived and quickly had a little spin around the Redbrige bike track which was going to be the scene for the 20 laps for the 40km bike section. Quickly realised that a road bike would not be the best choice (what I had) even though the course was both technical and hilly in places. There was still enough places to get aero and really get an advantage that would come from the TT bike. The run was more akin to a BMX track as well with sharp switch backs and some very steep hills in places....so, in summary, not really a race for me.

The first run was a nightmare from the moment I realised that the legs were not playing ball (about 1km in). The bike was a bit boring really, just round and round. The second run was very slow indeed. In the end I finished up 12th and can only really rate my performance as good domestique for the rest of the Turbos who did well to get second place for us in the London League for this one. I would have been more than willing to hand over a wheel to get me out of there to be honest. In the end, I got home in 2:06:47, more than 10 minutes off the pace.

Results are HERE

No comments: