Thursday, March 19, 2009

Functional Threshold Power Test 1

This is more for me, but it may be of interest to others. I did my first FTP test this evening which basically means using the turbo trainer to knock out a 20min effort and see how many watts you can put out over that period. This value can then be used to produce more sophisticated training schedules to improve my TT'ing ability. I would imagine that I may try do one of these a month now leading up to all my major TT's in the summer.

So, here goes:

Bike: Cervelo Soloist
Turbo: Tacx Flow
Calibration: +3
Slope: +2
Tyre Pressure: 100PSI

POWER: 436W
HR Ave: 170bpm
HR Max: 178bpm

In hindsight, I think I started off a bit too hard as I was defnitely getting weaker past the 10 minute mark. Plus, I had cycled pretty hard on the way back to Walton last night - doing some hard efforts on the good sections of the road - did not really feel that in the legs too much though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice, that looks like a big number to me (i got 301 last time around). did you do a 5min all out effort first as part of the protocol? iainm