Thursday, June 26, 2008

Mid Season Break

I am sure that I read somewhere that it is a good idea to have a bit of a break mid-season, especially if you are doing a whole bunch of hard races over the course of the triathlon season - I hope so anyway.

Last Thursday, on my occasional commute to work from Walton-on-Thames to the City something happened and the net result was that the next thing that I remember, I was in the back of an ambulance. I still don't know how I fell off, or what happened because I hit my head so hard that I broke my helmet and was subsequently concussed for a few minutes. Apparently, the lady behind me said that I just went over the handlebars, led on the ground for a bit and then got up and started to walk around - albeit, in a rather confused manner.

So...after a quick check up in the ambulance, during which I was sure they were going to send me on my way, I was told that I would be going here..


...and, there I stayed for the rest of the day. They kept me because I had hit my head and could not remember what happened at all - apparently, those are not good things.

Over the course of the day, it became quite obvious to me that my head was not the problem. I could feel my chest getting worse and worse, even through the co-codemol. I was pretty certain then that this was not going to be much fun.

So, one week on and I have yet to do any real exercise so you could say that the mid-season break is going very well indeed and I am being very diligent. The honest truth on the other hand is that I am going mad not being able to train when I want to. I have a very important race next weekend (this one) and I really want to nail it with my other two team mates. So, to be stuck in limbo not doing much before this is pretty miserable....I want to be out on the road or on the turbo having fun with pain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Hope you're feeling better mate, sounds like you took a nasty knock.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Al here by the way! :)

Jonny said...

Sounds nasty mate, but you dont need to remind me how bad head injuries are though.....been there, done that, got the codeine!

Did you ever find out what actually happened?

Hope you are on the road to recovery mate.....

RJL said...

Nope, still don't have a clue...it's 10 minutes that are lost forever.