Saturday, April 07, 2007

A few changes..

Over the past few months I have been making a few changes to the time trial machine to get it ready for the 2007 season. Since the end of last season, I have been dreaming and constantly contemplating whether it would be worthwhile to invest in a disc wheel...basically, it is a lot of money for a wheel..about £800 when it is all built up.

In the end I decided to bite the bullet and go for the bling, along with some new extensions for the front of the bike. As you can see, the bike now looks pretty damn fast..




The tubs are also new and at £60 a pop, they better be fast (recommended by one of the fastest time trial chaps in the UK)...does make you pretty nervous when you take the bike out though...a pucture could be an expensive operation.

The first test for the bike will come on Monday when race season finally gets underway with the first in the Thames Turbo Series of races. The race will mark my anniversary in the world of triathlon as this was my first event last year...seems weird to think back as to how much has happened in that year.

There is a bit of pressure for the race on Monday as well as in the final race of the series last year, I managed to set the record for the bike section of the triathlon. I now feel that I have to beat that time as there will probably be a lot of people out there who want to beat my split so I am gonna have to up the game a bit and hopefully record an even faster time. I have taken the bike out with the new wheel and tubs today and I confirm that it feels fast...I say "feels" because this season I am ditching any kind of technology to tell me how fast my heart is beating, what my time is, or how fast my bike is going. I am going to race depending on how I feel. I think that with all the training I do I have a pretty good understanding of my body and how to control the build up of lactic acid during the race and how far I can push myself.

Anyway, we'll see how things go on Monday. At the moment I am suffering from a bit of a cold which came on Thursday and although it feels like it is on its way out now, it is kind of not helping with getting me in the best shape for the race.

1 comment:

Jonny said...

Hope the race went well mate - so did you beat the record?

And where's the sub-woofer and UV lights?