Monday, May 16, 2011

North Hampshire RC - 50 Mile TT

The last 50 I had raced in was a horrible affair, with the cold and some very tired legs as a result of going out a bit too fast. I had hoped that last weekend's trip to H50/8 would be a more controlled affair and hopefully a better time.

Things started well on the day, I got to the first round about after about 8 miles into the wind and I was down about 40s. I quickly made these up with the tailwind though and just assured myself that I only needed to do that section once more and I should therefore be able to sneak home in about 1:50.

It was only on the return leg of the second lap that I realised that I was just about the pay the price of not reading the course information. Coming up to what I thought was the finish, it dawned me I had to go around again. On the way back, approaching the hardest section, I was close to breaking point - the thought of a windy, bumpy section once more almost became too much. My speed had been dropping off up to that point, so had resigned myself at that point to a bad time.

It was only when the marshal highlighted the error in my ways and told me to turn round just before the start of drudgery lane that my spirits picked up. All I had to do now was to hammer the last 6 miles so see if I could break my previous PB. Thankfully, someone past me here and from that point on, I just did my best to keep him in sight. I was knocking out 50-60kph on the flat (that's how bad the wind was) and he was pulling away from me...there are some fast people out there.

Made it home, sore bum, arms, neck 1:53:06 after setting off full of optimism. The winners were about 8 minutes quicker than me. However, I console myself in that the time still represents 2 x 56:30 25's so not exactly a bad day. It just so happens that people are a lot better than me at this TT'ing game.

1 comment:

John Legge said...

A very good ride, considering the wind. 25 seconds quicker than your 'Old man's' best, done in 1969 as well. You just have to beat my 100 mile time now, and you'll have the full house. Well done Rich.