Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Newbury RC - 25 Miles - New PB

According to the race calendar for this year, last weekend was supposed see me try my first ever 50 mile TT. However, thanks to the puncture at the Nationals and the fact that I felt I didn't have a good time for this season for 25 miles, I decided to ditch the 50 and do another 25.

The start sheet released before the race looked good to me as Prebble and Golla were on there and they had both pushed me into second place at a couple of earlier TT's when I had felt that I was not riding great. I was therefore looking forward to seeing how I would go against them now that I was a bit fitter. With the problems that have plagued me in recent races, what the puncture at Crystal Palace and then the Nationals and then then I went the wrong way in a mid-week two-up this week, I was however going to be most pleased just to make it round without any mishap.

Well, things did not go totally to plan. As I stood on the start line in perfect conditions, I turned on the Garmin and the battery was flat. Now that was annoying...I use that to see how I am going against a predetermined time. I had set it up to ride just shy of 52 minutes, which I felt was achievable on the day. Now, without the Garmin and no other means of knowing how fast I was going, I would need to just ride on feel....something I had not done for a while.

The race went okay in the end, I made it round and managed to do a new PB of 53:09....unfortunately, only shaving 7 seconds off the previous PB. I think that I did miss having the feedback from the watch as my legs were not too sore when I finished and I think that, in hindsight, I perhaps could have pushed a bit harder. I eventually came 2nd (Prebble punctured) and I was 46 seconds down on Golla. The good thing to take away is that he did me for over a minute in our previous encounter, albeit, he had raced a hard 10 the day before the 25.

So, that is it for my season of 25 mile TT's. I think I have done okay this season, generally finishing on the podium in every one that I entered. The annoying thing is conditions and a puncture have conspired against me to get a time that I feel I am capable of. I have been getting coached for the past couple of months by Rich Simmonds and I know full well that my ability to generate power has increased over time, hence my times should improve. When I got to the start of the National 25, I knew at that point that I was as fit as I had been for a long time. Alas, that was not to be.

We have the National TTT on Sunday so that should be an interesting ride. We are certainly not considered to be medal contenders so it would be great to see if we can surprise some people there. Last year, when the field was not as strong, we were 4th by a few seconds. We're all stronger this season though, so here's hoping.

No comments: