Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Thames Turbo Sprint - Race 2

The Thames Turbo sprint race was going to make up my double header weekend with the TT on the Sunday and then this race on the Bank Holiday Monday. I wanted to do well here, but I knew that there was going to be some damage to the legs from yesterday's efforts. Still, this is only ever an hour of hard work, so I was hopeful of being able to sneak through it and get a good time.

My swimming is certainly improving with the number of sessions that I am doing with Camden Swiss Cottage Masters as I feel a lot more comfortable in the water now and a lot more powerful when I want to be. Still, in saying that, I was still dropped by about 10s from the person that went off in front of me and was being caught from behind. Still, I was not that bothered though, as long as I don't get caught really....that's the main aim.

I did actually record one of my fastest ever swim splits even though, I suppose I was helped with where my bike was racked on this occasion. Still, it was all going to plan when I got out on the bike. The conditions were perfect for riding and I quickly settled down in to what I thought was a good pace....I chose not to wear a watch at this race though, so had no idea of my speed etc.....perhaps a bit of a mistake actually as I probably should have been going a bit quicker. Still, the bike went okay and I managed to catch the guys who had all started the swim before me and one of my main competitors had not caught me from behind - things seemed to be going okay.

The run was not great, in fact, I think that it is one of my slowest ever times. Without the watch and with the lack of recent run training, I suppose I had lost the feel for how fast I should be running. In the end, I did a 20:16 run when my best is a sub 19 last season.









In the end, my time of 59:05 was enough to secure me second place (again for the weekend), so pretty good really. The race is always good fun anyway. They even shot a short video on the day which will be used at a later stage for the club.


No comments: