Monday, May 19, 2008

Thames Turbo - Race 2 - 2008

This is a bit of an old post as this actually happened before the Euros...

On the second Bank Holiday of this year we had the second of the Thames Turbo series of races. Having come second for the last three of these races, I was again disappointed to see that one of the previous winners was on the start sheet....unfortunately a chap who is a fair bit faster than me. So, I was fighting it out for second place and beyond for this one.

The swim was a pretty standard affair and I was pleased (to some extent) to be out the water in about 6 minutes as this means that the 426m is taking me the same time now as it did last year when I was doing about 3 times as much swim training.

Out on the bike we had some perfect conditions for some fast times but I was quickly scuppered when I got caught at the traffic lights for the full 20 seconds. Anyway, the rest of the ride went okay, apart from the fact that the saddle moved a bit and it just was not the same after that as it felt like I was sliding off all the time.






I decided to start the run off slower than normal this time and see if I could then build my pace over the 5k. This definitely seemed to help anyway and as I was soon knocking out some good km's and knew that I was on for a PB on the run, and probably the whole race as well. In the end, I did my first ever sub 19min run (it is 5.2km), not only just either, it was 18:39.

copyright david spencer/us2design 2008

copyright david spencer/us2design 2008

copyright david spencer/us2design 2008







In the end, I managed to just sneak under 56 minutes for the first time in this event, some 40 seconds quicker than my previous best at this race. Only problem is, I now want to get a 54...


No comments: