Wednesday, June 20, 2007

These things come in 3's...right?

To say that I have not been too impressed with things so far this season would be a bit of an understatement. Everything started off so well, what with setting new 10k PB's back in February and then coming second in the first of the Thames Turbo series, followed by the low key win at the Duathlon - everything seemed to be going to plan for what would be an amazing season.

Then came the bike crash which knocked me out of the second Thames Turbo race. This was then closely followed by the puncture in the 3rd Thames Turbo race.

Sunday was supposed to be one of the biggest races of my season and, in all honesty, I was going for a top 3 spot at this race. I had prepared as well as I could and I felt confident on the day that I would be able to perform quite well. In the end, I only managed to do the swim and then get on the bike for one of the shortest rides ever....I punctured again on another brand new tub....my heart just sank as I heard air escaping and for a second I tried to kid myself that maybe it was someone else around me who had just punctured....surely it could not be me, I only punctured a couple of weeks ago?!

In the end, that was it....got off the bike and started the lonely walk back to transition...I even contemplated knocking on some doors to see if someone had any old racing bike that I could swap my carbon fibre wheel for. Alas, the sweep car eventually came past and I got in for the journey back to transition. I asked if I could do the run anyway, I had paid over £70 for the race, thought I may as well get as much out of it as possible.

In the end I managed to do the swim in about 24 minutes which is pretty slow but apparently the current affected some people. The run was not too bad either with a 38:30 which is okay for that course with all the dead turns and the big hill 3 times.

Anyway, time for a little break now and then I am off to Copenhagen in a couple of weeks for the European Championships.

4 comments:

Jonny said...

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope all goes well in the Euro's and your run of bad luck is over.

John Legge said...

Let's hope your run of bad luck is over Rich. Have a good break

Andy said...

Harsh. Very harsh. At least you didn't cycle the wrong way, I suppose. (Twice;)

Good luck in the Euro's

Mike McLoughlin said...

unlucky mate, get out training on the bike and pick up your third puncture, that way your going to be puncture free for the rest of the seasons races.
Mike