Monday, May 21, 2007

She's back...

The bike has now been fixed up with some new handlebars and I reckon it is looking even better than before. I have lowered the front a bit more as well...might as well get as aero as my back will allow. Have been out on it once so far and it does feel good...got my first race on Bank Holiday Monday so we'll see if there is any improvement...to be honest. you would hope so though with 600 hard km's riding done in Portugal.





I have also had quite a nice surprise tonight when I went to the lake up the road from me. I went with the intention of doing a 1500m swim (the distance I need to do in a normal triathlon) at race pace to see where I was at this time of the year. To give you an idea, my best time last year was a 21:58 that I recorded in a lido in North London and was doing about 22 something in the races. I got round the measured course tonight in 19:38 which is a hell of a lot quicker than I thought I would be able to - the aim this year was to go under 21, so going under 20 is a massive improvement. There are not that many people who go under 21 in a normal race so this all stands me in good stead. It means that I should be able to gain an even greater advantage from the swim and bike than I had thought...i.e. my worst bit, the running, has more margin for error.

4 comments:

Mike McLoughlin said...

Well done on the swim, that is a huge improvement margin, hope you hold that form for thames turbo on monday and cut the course up.
WN

RJL said...

Cheers Mike. Unfortunately, it seems to be a wetsuit thing. I don't think I am that fast out of the wetsuit.

Well, we'll see on Monday anyway.

Jonny said...

You should get one of those shark suits that the Thorpedo wears, or wore!

Oh and watch out for those rusty bikes and shopping trolleys. I hope your tetanus is up to date! Do you often go swimming in lakes? Surely a swimming pool is much safer?

RJL said...

Funny enough, I had a tetanus the other day after I crashed the bike. I eventually went to the hospital to get my wounds looked at as they were still pretty grim after a few days. Pools are safer, but lakes are better..no turning every 25m.